How We Can Help
Are you an immigrant and do you want to return to your profession or trade in Canada? An Immigrant Access Fund loan can help if you are struggling to pay for the costs that are associated with completing the licensing or training you need to work in your field in Canada.
IAF is Canada’s largest and most successful character-based community lending program dedicated to helping skilled immigrants, including refugees, succeed in Canada’s labour market. If you are a refugee/protected person in Canada, click here to learn about the IAF Refugee Loan Program.
USE OF LOAN:
You can borrow up to $10,000 to cover the following costs:
- Short-term (two years or less) training
- Exam fees with a professional governing association
- Travel expenses to write an exam
- Qualification assessments
- Professional association fees
- Books and course materials
- English or French language courses specific to employment
- Living allowance during study time
- Other related expenses
IAF LOAN PROGRAM IS UNIQUE
IAF loans are character-based. Loans are approved on the strength of the applicant’s character and career development or learning plan.
- IAF can lend to people with low income.
- Canadian credit history is not required.
- Collateral is not required.
- Interest rate is low.
- Repayment terms are favourable.
Your loan repayment schedule will depend on the length of your approved learning or training plan. Generally, your payments will be in two stages:
- Interest only while you are completing your licensing/learning plan (to a maximum of two years), and
- Principal and interest for the next two years.
The interest rate is the RBC Prime rate + 1.5%, set quarterly.
Click here to meet some of our successful loan recipients.
To learn more about our eligibility requirements, click here.