Refugee Loan Program
Immigrant Access Fund is a character-based community lending program dedicated to helping newcomers succeed in Canada’s job market. IAF achieves this by providing micro loans of up to $10,000 for the costs of the licensing/training they need to work in their field in Canada.
Convention refugees and protected persons from anywhere in the world can apply at no interest cost to them, as long as they apply within three years from the time they have attained refugee status in Canada.
Please note that refugee claimants are not eligible at this time.
IAF’S REFUGEE LOAN PROGRAM IS UNIQUE:
- Convention refugees and protected persons do not pay interest
- Interest is being paid by the generosity of community donors
- We can lend to people with low income
- Application process is quick
- Collateral is not required
- Credit history in Canada is not required
- Repayment terms are favourable
IAF loans are character-based. Loans are approved on the strength of the applicant’s character and strength of their career development or learning plan.
LOANS MAY BE USED FOR:
- Short-term (two years or less) training
- Exam fees with a professional governing association
- Travel expenses to write an exam
- Qualification assessments
- Professional association fees
- Books and course materials
- English or French language courses specific to employment
- Living allowance during study time
- Other related expenses
You have up to four years to pay back your loan. Generally, your payments will be a set of minimum payments while you are completing your licensing/learning plan (to a maximum of two years). Your payments will increase once you find employment or 2 years after your loan is received.
As with standard IAF loans, borrowers will be registered with Equifax to begin building their credit history in Canada.
Click here to learn more about our loan terms and conditions.
To learn more about our eligibility requirements, click here.